- The delusion that personal gain is made by crushing others.
- The tendency to worry about things that cannot be changed or corrected.
- Insisting that a thing is impossible because we cannot accomplish it.
- Refusing to set aside trivial preferences.
- Neglecting development and refinement of the mind, and not acquiring the habit of reading and studying.
- Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do.
I’ve been living outside of the United States for eight months now. The first 3.5 months were in Vancouver and Victoria, BC, Canada. The last 4.5 months have been in Bangkok (one week) and Chiang Mai, Thailand.
As someone adapting to different cultures on a 24/7/365 basis, the 2nd, 4th, and 6th of Cicero’s Mistakes of Man are particularly apt. Some farang who have lived in Thailand for 3 or 5 years still appear to make these mistakes with regard to the local culture. It’s comedic. Buddha save me from this fate…